Owner & Head Trainer, Brigette Mayer, is a Karen Pryor Academy Certified Training Partner (KPA CTP), a Puppy Start Right Preschool instructor, an Associate Nose Work Instructor (ANWI) through the National Association of Canine Scent Work (NACSW), a Fear Free Certified Professional, a Family Paws Parent Educator, and a licensed ‘Be a Tree’ presenter. When she’s not geeking out over dogs and the science behind animal behaviour and training, she loves to travel, drink craft beer and cider, and be involved in her community of New Westminster, BC.
Brigette’s passion for animals began at a very young age. She grew up with a multitude of animals – many dogs, cats, and fish accompanied her through her early lessons and travels.
Brigette was first introduced to clicker training upon rescuing her fearful Formosan Mountain Dog cross, Lulu. Brigette saw first-hand the vast improvements made with Lulu using this method of fear- and force-free positive reinforcement and has been hooked ever since!
Brigette and her husband, Markus, are currently owned by two dogs, Lulu and Jax, and two cats, Maya and Hazel. Brigette trains and competes with her dogs in nose work and agility and she also clicker trains her cats for fun (and to reinforce the value of patience!)
Education & Certifications
- National Association of Canine Scent Work instructor program (CNWI) – currently enrolled
- Family Paws Parent Educator – 2018
- Karen Pryor Academy Puppy Start Right for Instructors – 2017
- Licensed ‘Be A Tree’ Presenter – 2017
- Karen Pryor Academy Certified Training Partner (KPA CTP) – 2016
- Fear Free Certified Professional – 2016
- Karen Pryor Academy Dog Trainer Foundations – 2014
- dog*tec Dog Walking Academy graduate – 2013
- DogSafe certified in Pet First Aid and CPR
Brigette continually expands her knowledge and skill set through further educational opportunities and conferences.
- Professional Member of the Association of Professional Dog Trainers (APDT)
- Supporting Member of the International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants (IAABC)
- Professional Member of the Pet Professional Guild (PPG)