We wanted to create a program that would give new puppy owners all the tools that they needed to live in harmony with their new family member. Enter Puppy Essentials!
Even though we’re working within a small class format, you will receive a lot of individual coaching for you and your dog so that we can ensure your success.
Requirements for Puppy Essentials:
- A mandatory 45-minute orientation class without your puppy.
- Your dog should be between 8 weeks and 17 weeks old.
- Puppies must have a first full set of vaccinations.
Current research shows that the primary and most important time for puppy socialization is the first three months of life. During this time puppies should be exposed to as many new people, animals, stimuli and environments as can be achieved safely and without causing over-stimulation, as per the American Veterinary Society of Animal Behaviour. For this reason, the American Veterinary Society of Animal Behaviour believes that it should be the standard of care for puppies to receive such socialization before they are fully vaccinated.
This means puppies can and should be socialized properly and safely as young as 8 weeks. In keeping with this research puppies are welcome in our classes with their first core set of puppy vaccines and a negative fecal test (for parasites). However, in order to keep our puppy classes a safe place for puppies to socialize, we request that you agree to not take your puppy to public dog parks while you are attending puppy classes with us. Please feel free to contact us should you require more information as to why we have this policy.
- House training / Crate training
- Jumping / Polite greetings
- Bite inhibition – effective strategies for chewing, play biting & nipping
- Learning how to share (food, bones, toys, humans)
- Effective & safe socialization
- Handling & grooming
- Introduction to the Foundations+ behaviours
The cost for Puppy Essentials is $150 + GST.
Wednesdays 7pm to 8pm Email us to register!