Over the course of six 60-minute group training sessions, you’ll receive the necessary knowledge and foundation experiences to help your puppy develop into a wonderful companion. With a little work and a lot of fun, you and your puppy will build the foundation for a lifelong friendship. Puppy Start Right Preschool is designed to facilitate socialization, address normal puppy behaviours, and prevent the development of behaviour problems later in life.
Current research shows that the primary and most important time for puppy socialization is the first three months of life. During this time puppies should be exposed to as many new people, animals, stimuli, and environments as can be achieved safely and without causing over-stimulation, as per the American Veterinary Society of Animal Behaviour. For this reason, the American Veterinary Society of Animal Behaviour believes that it should be the standard of care for puppies to receive such socialization before they are fully vaccinated.
Your puppy should be between 7 weeks and 12 weeks old at the start of your 6-week preschool (the earlier, the better!)
Medical requirements to keep your puppy safe:
- first core set of puppy vaccines a minimum of 10 days prior to starting preschool
- Bordetella vaccine (oral or intra-nasal) a minimum of 7 days prior to starting preschool
- a negative fecal test (for parasites)
- Crate training
- House training
- Jumping / polite greetings
- Bite inhibition – effective strategies for chewing, play biting & nipping
- Learning how to share (food, bones, toys, humans)
- Problem puppy behaviours – counter surfing, stealing objects, digging
- Effective & safe socialization
- Handling & grooming
- Introduction to basic obedience behaviours
What’s Included in the Cost
- Your very own copy of the Puppy Start Right: Foundation Training for the Companion Dog book, written by Dr. Kenneth M. Martin and Debbie Martin, a husband & wife veterinarian & trainer team (a $30 value)
- Your very own copies of the Puppy Start Right Preschool videos that accompany the book (a $19 value)
- A Doggone Good! Rapid Rewards treat pouch & belt – the Cadillac of treat pouches! (a $30 value)
- A clicker with attached wrist coil (a $4 value)
The cost for Puppy Start Right Preschool is $280 + GST.
NEXT SET STARTS MONDAY, OCTOBER 7, 2019 from 7:30PM – 8:30PM!
Classes: October 7, 21, November 4, 11, 18 & 25. No classes on October 14 & 28.
Tynehead Hall located at 9568 – 168 Street in North Surrey. The hall is located on the south-east corner of the intersection.